Monday, April 23, 2007

A Thing of Shreds and Patches

Day 2 of rehearsal .

The morning brought us our Pish-Tush and Peep-Bo, so we were able to finally sing through Three Little Maids with a full contingent. Wonderful to hear the cast laughing as well. Good comedy can be made by people who don't like each other, but it is oh so much harder and much less pleasant. This bunch is bonding quickly.

In the afternoon it was time to give a concept presentation to the cast and staff. 40 minutes of background, history, artistic tidbits and airy persiflage.

After that a brief production meeting to clarify some outstanding issues. How will the men's fans work? Where will the tassels on Katisha's wagon go? Can we get some extra sunglasses for two of the choristers?

The rest of the afternoon was the best part, though. Now I may not know everything about opera. I may leave my socks on the floor. I may be unduly concerned with the outcome of America's Next Top Model. In short, I am deeply flawed. But I know an awesome costume shop when I see one.

I got to sit in on two costume fittings. First was Katisha. That is Linda Cho, our costume designer holding the costume sketch. Katisha is my favorite character, and the dragon lady concept I brought up in our initial meetings was brilliantly expanded upon by her to the Kabuki Fire Demon/Drag Queen you can probably make out in the sketch. (I'll leave the costume itself to be a bit of a surprise...) Suffice it to say that when a playwright or librettist gives a character a literally show stopping entrance in the Act I Finale, it makes the artistic team sit up and take notice. I think this costume earns its place in the architecture of the show.





After that was Nanki-Poo's first fitting. That is the brilliant Bob kneeling at Mr. Poo's feet and adjusting his hem. Bob is what we call a draper, and drapers are the most powerful people in the entire field of theatre. If they all called in sick one day, the entire artistic world would grind to a halt with a sickening, grinding, scraping noise.

Inspired by the Break-Dancing Elvises of Harajuku Square in Tokyo (officially named the Rocka-Billy Club, I believe) Nanki-Poo is certainly doing a fine job of hiding his noble roots. I suppose shreds and patches are in the eye of the beholder...
















PS Bob also made that Dragon-riding-a-motorcycle embroidered piece on the back of Mr. Poo's leather jacket. Have I mentioned his geniusness and geniusosity?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Well, this is one heckuva teaser. You're gonna HAVE TO post pictures of the actual costumes once you open. LOTS of pictures! With close-ups of such details as that dragon on a motorcycle.

Ned Canty said...

Don't worry--plenty of pictures to come!