Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Belated Post

So my current project (www.nytvf.com) has become all-consuming much more quickly than I had hoped it would, which has made it hard to gather my thoughts for the sort of final entry I would like. I am going to drop back and punt, therefore, and say that my final post will come after June 20th, when I am in St. Louis to see a matinee of the show. It will be nice to see how the show has grown in a month. In the meantime, I wanted to post an email I received from Alison Felter, the Education Director at OTSL:

With all the bustle of the season I thought you might enjoy a nice story of a very happy 12 year old from Jackson Park Elementary in University City who attended the student matinee of The Mikado last Friday. She was so enthralled with the production that she announced to her mother that she would like to take her to the opera using birthday money she received this month. Her mom says she can't stop talking about the production and that she (the mom) is now excited having seen tv commercials and reading about the show in the St. Louis American. So June 12 if you notice a 12 year old and her mom dining on the picnic grounds together, say hello and welcome new opera fan Deja and her mom Kym.

I must say that made me feel pretty good. I remember the shows I saw as a child and young adult so vividly (The Wiz, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, As You Like It, many others) that feeling like a show I directed had a similar effect on someone her age really makes my day. In fact, I remember asking for tickets for Joseph on Broadway for Christmas the year I turned 11. And after all, if the Dejas of the world don't find a taste for opera, I'll need to find a new profession in a few decades, and quite frankly I like what I do.

So forgive my evasions, and I promise to summarize in June.

No comments: