Thursday, May 17, 2007

To Placate The Fates...

Today was our final dress, our last chance to try out the show before we go live on Friday. We had a lovely audience of several hundred people, which is vital for a comedy. Ideally we would have a week of previews before we open to test out what is funny, but sans that luxury I was thrilled to have at least one shot at it. Comedy is such a tricky business--half fate, half science and half blind luck. We learned a lot today, though.

I am sure you all know the superstition that a bad dress means a good opening. As I am very superstitious, I must point out that many, MANY things went wrong, if you catch my drift. Dropped umbrellas, mistaken cues, etc. Plenty to improve on for the opening. Which is good--nothing makes me more nervous than a perfectly smooth dress.

So another of the many groups of people who made all of this craziness come to life are my ninjas--the props and stage crew who move around buildings, tote rocks, hand off katanas and basically make the whole affair run smoothly. Like all ninjas, they are silent, swift, and deadly. I have yet to see any of them scale a sheer wall, but I have no doubt they could, if a prop needed to be delivered there. Those are their costumes, complete with flaming fists (most of them are in service to Katisha.)
That is our own Paul Kilmer. I thought he should be on the blog.

Ko-Ko, reading his little list, with the wonderful GYA Men's Coro behind him.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading the blog & all the pictures. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I worked on a show whith this much nifty, crazy, cool stuff to sew in it_ So much that I had to get my web album for it up as soon as I had the pictures to my friends back home could see_

I snagged one of your pictures to put at the end of it with the blog address as part of the caption [hope you don't mind]_

http://picasaweb.google.com/elauber820/MikadoPianoDressRehearsal

You ought to be able to swipe a few of mine, if you like_

Thanks for an awesome show :)

Anonymous said...

Gee, do you go live on FRIDAY? I thought that Saturday was the opening night. Allow me, then, to exhort you and the cast and the crew to all "break a leg".

As someone not directly connected with this production, however, I hope that the Fates won't take exception to my saying that I think that this will be a great show.

I do hope that you'll blog the opening night and post some pics from it. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's hoping that a picture of you yourself will be included.

Sending lots o' love and good vibrations from NYC,
Kevin

Anonymous said...

A humble note of encouragement –
Whenever things are about to go well sometimes, I noticed these adverse forces that come into play, to test us. Perhaps it is good to remember, that nothing truly great can be achieved without a bit of struggle, much struggle sometimes. And best wishes to all the wonderful performers tonite as well, who seem to all have been trying their best. Their efforts are still appreciated.